- What is psychodynamic psychotherapy?
- Individual psychodynamic psychotherapy is a process of self discovery that takes place in the interaction between you and a trained therapist. Over a series of meetings you will begin to open up about yourself and your life and will begin to gain access to feelings and understandings that have not been accessible to you before. Your therapist is there as a trained collaborator who listens intently, asks questions, and facilitates the process that allows you to go deeper into your own experience. You will emerge on the other side with greater self-awareness, a changed sense of self, and access to a wider range of feelings.
- Who can benefit from psychodynamic psychotherapy?
- People visit a psychodynamic therapist in order to deal with many different issues. The issues range from very specific problems to a more vague sense that life is missing something or that something is wrong without knowing exactly what. Most experience a limitation in their life or are weighed down by certain unpleasant emotions such as guilt, shame, anger, sadness, or fear. If your life is missing something or if your personal limitations are holding you back from living the life you want, psychodynamic therapy might be the solution for you.
- My approach to psychotherapy:
- I am a psychodynamic psychotherapist who will help you get to the root of your problems. I focus less on your symptoms than on the underlying emotions and difficulties that cause the symptoms. I am not a problem-solving coach, but an expert in getting you in touch with deeper layers of who you are. I aim to give you an emotional experience that will heal you from the ground up and make you feel like a different person. Read more about my approach to therapy...
One Client's Story...
So here we are, it’s the last session. I can’t believe how time moves. I’m pretty sure by now you know what this experience has meant to me. I know you care a great deal as well. I’d still like to try and put into words how grateful I am to have known and worked with you.
When I first came to see you over 3 years ago I was a person who felt she was unworthy of love and deserved to be abused or worse. I didn’t trust myself or anyone else. I had come very close to losing all hope. Therapy changed those illusions - you changed my life by being there. Today I feel like a completely different person though I still have a ways to go. I want to be alive - I’m excited to risk loving and letting people into my world. I’m still scared of that but this experience shows me I can do it.
The thing I realize now is you gave me the space to be a full person. I never had that before this. I could experience anger, frustration, joy, love, closeness, distance, and sexual desire, all of it! Before I tried to disown a lot of these things, but now I can feel them and be a part of the world. I know this is painful to say goodbye, but that pain is nothing compared to what my life may have been like had I not met and worked with you.
Looking back on the last 3 years it amazes me how much we accomplished together and things we discovered about not just my life - but life in general. All the changes that took place - well I still feel like I’m processing them and will be for a while.
(Printed with permission from client)
Read more articles about therapy...
5 Common Things People Say to Avoid Seeing a Therapist
When contemplating seeing a therapist, powerful resistances are usually evoked. Here are 5 common things people tell themselves to avoid therapy...> Read full article